Police Regional Office 6 traces its roots from the defunct Philippine Constabulary and the different local forces in the Philippines. In 1975, these were integrated pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 765 with the Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police (PC/INP). The set-up of this organization followed the organization with four (4) Philippine Constabulary zones and with Provincial Commands in each province. Two years and two month thereafter Presidential LOI 689 dated 11 May, 1978 specifically called for the regionalization of the Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police Command to conform with the socio-political subdivisions of the country considering the need for closer coordination and cooperation with other government agencies, the Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police was organized along the Regional concept. The Visayas area was then under the Third Philippine Constabulary (3PCZ) of the then Philippine Constabulary Zone (PCZ). The Third Philippine Constabulary Zone (3PCZ) was further divided into three (3)PC/INP Regional Commands, namely; PC/INP Regional Command 6 with its headquarters at Camp General Martin Teofilo B Delgado, Fort San Pedro, Iloilo City; PC/INP Regional Command 7 with headquarters at Camp Osmeña, Cebu City; and PC/INP Regional Command 8 based at Camp September 21st Movement, Palo, Leyte. In 1990, the Philippine Congress enacted RA No. 6975, which deactivated the Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police and replaced it with Philippine National Police (PNP) effective 01 January 1991. The former PC/INP Regional Commands were renamed as Police Regional Office in October 1996. Thus, the former Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police (PC/INP) Regional Command 6 became the Police Regional Office.
At the age of 25, he was appointed teniente mayor of his hometown and capitán municipal, positions under the Spanish colonial government in the Philippines.
On 28 October 1898, Delgado marched into Santa Barbara and took control of the municipal building. On that same day, simultaneously uprisings took place in towns across Iloilo. On 17 November 1898, Delgado was promoted to Lieutenant general. On 24 December 1898, the Spanish forces under the command of General Diego de los Ríos evacuated Iloilo and the Filipino flag was raised on Christmas Day. On 28 December 1898, General Marcus P. Miller leading an American force arrived to conquer Panay. Assisted by warships from Admiral George Dewey‘s command, they lowered the Filipino flag and hoisted the flag of the United States, signifying American control.
General Delgado encouraged the Filipino troops to revive their nationalist cause. As the military governor of the province and General-in-Chief of the army, he challenged the American forces led by General Hughes using guerrilla tactics. Eventually, leading citizens of Iloilo wrote a circular urging General Delgado to surrender for the benefit of “the victims of useless resistance.”
On February 2, 1901 General Delgado formally surrendered in Jaro to the American military governor, Edmund Rice. Up to the time of his surrender, Delgado was the chief insurgent leader on the island of Panay. He was recognized by the Americans as “the ablest leader” on the island and appointed as the first Governor of Iloilo province upon the establishment of the civil government on 11 April 1901.
On 3 March 1902, the first local election was held, and he was elected governor of Panay. He served until March 1904.
After his term, he returned to his hometown of Santa Bárbara. Not long after, he was exiled to Culion, where he served a superintendent of a leprosy sanatorium. He died in Culion on 12 November 1918 at the age of 60. Delgado Street in the city of Iloílo is named after him. In 1998, on the centennial of the Philippine declaration of idependence, a statue was erected in his honor in the main square of his hometown Santa Bárbara. In 2019, an equestrian statue of Delgado, made by Spanish Sculptor Ginés Serrán-Pagán, was also erected in front of the Casa del Emperador at the Iloílo Business Park.